Bacon kale spaghetti for when you're flying out the door
I made this for my son while I was getting ready to leave for an event. It took 15 minutes. He accepted it without complaint.
- 1/3 pound spaghetti
- 1/3 pound bacon or pancetta or guanciale
- 1 bunch lacinato/dinosaur kale
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Using kitchen scissors snip a stack of bacon crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. Break up pieces and scatter over a baking sheet. Place in oven.
- Add noodles to water.
- Remove spine from kale leaves and slice into thin ribbons. Pull out bacon and scatter kale over it. Bacon should be mostly done. Put the pan back into the oven. Don't worry, kale is going to be in there for just long enough to wilt a bit.
- When spaghetti is cooked, drain. Remove bacon and kale from oven and pour cooked pasta right on top of them in the pan. Use tongs to toss everything well. Grate some cheese and add black pepper or red pepper flakes. Maybe a little lemon juice.
- Scoop into bowl, plonk it in front of your kid, and run out of the house.